The VRAF offers the following types of funding opportunities:
- Professional Development Grants: An annual award of $850 to an individual for professional development in the field of visual resources and image management. This grant supports attendance at an educational event of the grantee’s choosing (such as, an association conference, symposium or workshop), or enrollment in relevant research activities in the VRAF Grant Areas of Interest.
- Project Grant: One grant up to $3000 awarded to organizations or institutions for programs and projects in the VRAF Grant Areas of Interest. The funds may be used for small, stand-alone projects, pilots or start-up financing for larger projects, or for a component of a larger project.
- Grants Administration: The VRAF also pursues grants from other tax-exempt organizations, corporations and governmental sources to fulfill its mission. Please contact the VRAF Development Officer to discuss proposals for larger projects in the VRAF Grant Areas of Interest.
Areas of Interest
The VRA Foundation’s Areas of Interest include visual information management and education, and the dissemination of and access to images of primarily, but not exclusively, cultural heritage materials. Projects in the following categories may be considered for funding:
- Image Metadata
- Image Cataloguing
- Data Standards
- Digital Archives
- Digitization Projects (Educational Institutions, Libraries, Museums)
- Visual Literacy
- Pedagogy and Technology
- Intellectual Property Rights
The VRA Foundation has United States Internal Revenue Service status as a 501c3 non-profit entity. All elements of a proposed project must be performed within the legal parameters of United States local, regional. and federal government requirements. International applications are welcome from institutions or individuals provided applicant institutions have the equivalent of US non-profit status and applicant individuals have a similar non-profit, educational purpose.
Specifics of eligibility may vary according to the grant offered. Please see the guidelines for each grant program.
The VRA Foundation does NOT fund:
- Political, labor, religious, or fraternal organizations
- Activities that influence legislation
VRA Foundation Grants are not to be used for indirect costs at institutions.